What Are Lurchers Really Like?
Lurchers are intelligent, gentle and affectionate dogs with a natural willingness to learn and to please. Nonetheless, it should be remembered that the Lurcher was originally bred to work and hunt. This should be borne in mind before you buy a Lurcher.
Like all dogs, Lurchers need training and early socialization. Their natural instinct is to chase its prey, so they need to be made aware that such behaviour is not acceptable in a family pet. Of course if you want a Lurcher because of its considerable competence at dog sports, that is a different matter. Lurchers are highly trainable and excel at dog agility and obedience trials, lure coursing and dog racing.
In summary, the Lurcher makes a wonderful family pet providing it is properly trained and socialized from an early age. Training should always be positive, varied and mentally stimulating for your Lurcher.
If you would like to read more about owning a Lurcher, please read some of these excellent, highly recommended books:
* The House Lurcher by: Jackie Drakeford
* Pet Owner’s Guide to the Lurcher by: Jason Framlingham
* The Lurcher: Training and Hunting by: Frank Sheardown
* The Lurcher: A Complete Guide by: Jon Hutcheon
* The Working Lurcher: The Traditional Skills by: Jackie Drakeford
* Understanding the Working Lurcher by: Jackie Drakeford